freezer paper stenciling and dropcloth, so I chose to enlist that trusty team for this endeavor. If it ain't broke...
Having completed the lettering, it occurred to me that I should have gone with a much bigger font. There was some significant space on either side of the "fandomonium designs" and I wasn't entirely sure what to do about it. I'll admit that I considered just trimming it down and making a bigger banner later, or starting over then and there. Frankly, I'm too lazy for that to have been an option, so I hit Sean up for ideas. As usual, he had a plan; put "aluminum cuffs" on one side, and "upcycled bling" on the other. I liked it, but I still wasn't sure how to make it work. Different fonts? Different colors? I let that percolate while I had my breakfast, and hit on "negative space." I went to my laptop and printed out the phrases I'd need---same font, but a little smaller---and set about tracing and cutting.
While I cut (and sang along with a mix of Once More With Feeling and Dr. Horrible tunes, thank you very much), it occurred to me that it was going to be a huge pain in the keister to block out rectangles of equal size to float these letters in. More cutting, more rumination, and finally a lightbulb moment. I hightailed it to the kitchen to grab a dinner plate---thank you, IKEA!---and quickly traced it onto the freezer paper. A bit of seat-of-my-pants arranging yielded this:
Better than I'd hoped for. I filled it in with black acrylic, taking care to keep from bleeding through to the table this time, and hoped for the best. I pulled each letter off carefully with my X-Acto knife, knowing full well that this part of the process is the riskiest bit. It's easy to get a smudge in the white spaces with the not-quite-dry paint, and it wouldn't be the first time I'd screwed up a big project this late in the game. Slow and steady.
Here are the fruits of my labors:
our next market on Saturday. You local yokels, come check it out in person! There will be beer, and music, and merry-making1